Saturday, July 7, 2007

Wednesday June 20







Wednesday was our second and last day in Getherei. Once again we started the day off by worshipping with fellow believers at the church, then we hit the streets of Getherei once more. This time we went to schools and informed the deans of the schools about an AIDS seminar that CIF was hosting the following week. Visiting the schools was insane! I honestly felt like I was a famous movie star, at any given moment there were hundreds of kids swarming us and standing in line just to touch our hands. It was so funny.
While we were walking to the schools we would stop and talk with people and invite them to the Bible study that night. Because we were on the main roads of Getherei, we had a couple run-ins with some very drunk men. White skin and blond hair definitely stand out.

Later in the afternoon, my team led a children's ministry conference at the church. We were basically teaching the leaders of the church how to disciple their youngest members, and helping them get a Children's Ministry started. I was fortunate enough to be able to teach the toddler seminar and talk about my experiences teaching the toddler class at grace. It was neat to share things that have and haven't worked and encourage these leaders that they aren't just babysitting, but rather teaching the Word of God to future leaders of the church and Christ's ambassadors to Getherei. I was able to give them several toddler Bibles that I have enjoyed using in my class as well. Other members of our team led an elementary school seminar and worship seminars.

After the conference we were able to attend the Wednesday evening Bible study at CIF. I was excited for the Bible study, but I ended up taking the kids outside so that the adults could listen to the teaching. There were probably around 40 kids so I went outside and played "Zebra, Zebra, Simba" (Kenyan duck, duck, goose), and the dancing game with them, while simultaneously rocking a toddler to sleep. It was so fun!

I was devastated when we had to leave all those kids. Getherei ended up being one of my favorite parts of the trip. I loved that there were so many aspects of ministry that we were able to take part in, from street evangelism, to working with kids, befriending strangers, teaching, and worshipping.
After we left, we went to an Ethiopian dinner called Habasha. I was not entirely fond of the meal, but the coffee was by far the most amazing thing I have ever tasted. They bring the coffee out in this little pitcher that is on top of burning hot rocks, and it was beyond delicious. As far as the meal goes, I really don't know what we were eating. They bring out this tray with really sour, doughy bread. On top of the bread is little piles of colorful mush. You use more of the sour bread to pick up the mush. I ate the potatoes. All of them.

Above our more pictures from Getherei. The lady in the picture is Frida, the women I talked about in the last post.

No comments: