Saturday, July 7, 2007

Final Thoughts on Getherei




Seeing that Getherei was my first time really experiencing Kenya I was exposed to so many different things. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Almost everyone in Kenya says they are Christian. Those who truly believe Jesus is their Lord and Savior referred to themselves as 'born again' instead of Christian. I also noticed how many churches there are in Getherei and was very encouraged until the Compeans said that most of the churches are corrupt. They preach that God wants everyone to be wealthy and live a good life, and that if they would give the church money God would grant them that wealth.

2. If someone in Getherei was a true Christian, they were wonderfully on fire for God. There seemed to be no such thing as a luke-warm Christian there. Despite their suffering they glorified God in everything they do. Their lives are the epitome of taking up the cross and following Christ. The cross means suffering and death. Sometimes I think we don't understand that. The Christians I met there understand this truth, and thus they have life; life to the fullest.

3. These Christians know the meaning of 2 Corinthians 12:9&10. One particular lady's husband was recently kidnapped after some thugs found out he had a decent job. They forced him to give up his pin number to his Visa, and then made the wife pay a ransom to get him back. The family still owes them money. The police won't do anything, and they don't know when the thugs will come back. I don't know many people in situations half as sad as this, and yet this lady passionately proclaims God's supremacy. She praises God for their situation, and knows that God's grace is sufficient.

4. God is good. I saw first hand the most pain and suffering I have seen while in Getherei. The most devastating part of the entire trip came on the second day in Getherei, when a lady I had never met tried to give me her baby. She new nothing about me but I am from America, thus she believes I can give her baby a better life then she can. I can not fathom what it must be like to be in a situation where giving your baby to a stranger seems like your best option. However, through all of this pain and suffering their is a hope and a peace that God is still good. God's hand is in Getherei. He is being glorified in Getherei and His will will be accomplished.

I'm still processing all of this. Do you have any thoughts on any of this?

2 comments:

Kate said...

Lindsey, my heart aches for the poor, distressed, and broken. I wish I could do something. I want to go help, but I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. I am no longer single or just married and thus able to travel freely, I have two children that I now am responsible. So then, how can I be useful? We are asking ourselves this question daily. Maybe God will use us in Kenya, like He did you. We are praying for guidence on this issue.

As for Christian vs. born again believers, I am not surprised. It almost sounds like it is over here in America. What a shame! Oh, I wish at times that the Lord would just come and conquer all and that we could be spending our lives just worshipping Him to His face! But as He tarries we need to go out and shine His TRUTH.
Trav and I were just talking about a similar issue. We were wondering what to do with our wealth. We have been given it for a reason. Is it do spend on our comforts (i.e. bigger home, nice clothes, yummy food, ect.) in order to reach out to people here in SLO (ie. host youth group functions, have church bar be ques, etc.) or is it to give it all away to those who just need the bare necessities. Both are needed, we think, but the fact of the matter is the too many people are saying, "hey we can be 'missionaries' here" and thus are able to stay comfortable in the US while the gospel and christian faith become lax. There is a greater need for born again believers to get OUT of comfortable America and plung into the grime, pain, poverty, and evil of the world to shine brightly for Him. I also think that while this brings glory to Him and will allow more people to be saved, it will also boost our faith, make is stronger and more joyous. Just like how the people you have met are struggling physically, yet are abounding spiritually.
Wow, that was a lot of rambling and doesn't quite have to do with your post. I am just so encouraged to hear about this all. Thanks for taking the time to shar with us.

Lindsey said...

Kate I have been thinking about a lot of the same things you mentioned, of course I am single and babyless so it is not quite the same.

You said that maybe God will use you in Kenya, but He already did. I would not have been able to go without the financial support that the church family at Grace provided. You helped send me. For some reason God wanted me in Kenya and you at home praying for me. I'm not sure either one is more important because one would not exist without the other.

As far as what to do with our wealth and the idea of being a missionary in America--I think I will blog about these at a later time as they are definetly thoughts I have been grappling with since I came home.

Thanks for reading my blog : )