Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Sunday June 17th

Joseph our Matatu driver.


We landed at the Nairobi airport around 10:30 or 11:00 at night. After stepping off the plane my first thoughts were: 'I can't believe I'm in Africa' and 'Praise the Lord everyone wears deodorant in America'. I know that seems incredibly shallow, but it really was one of the hardest parts for me. As soon as we grabbed our bags people were trying to carry them for us because they assumed we had money. It is somewhat strange when a random Kenyan man walks up to you and tries to grab your bag.

Vicky and Ramsey, two of the missionaries we would be working with, met us at the airport, along with our Matatu (big purple bus) drivers, Jared and Joseph. We were staying in a house that belongs to an American missionary couple who are in the States for the summer. The house used to be the Israli Foreign Minister's (or someone important like that) house so there was plenty of security.

Because we got there late at night the only differences I really noticed were driving on the left side of the road, and the fact that there aren't really traffic lights or any rules. Also the guard at our house was carrying an AK-47, that's something you wouldn't see at the Country Club : )

It was late by the time we got to our house so we pretty much just went to bed. I was so excited to sleep, and even more excited that I got a bed to sleep on. However, the bed I slept on was a toddler bed that was really little and was covered in plastic in case the little kid wets the bed. It was so funny and sooooo loud everytime I rolled over. It was rather hilarious. Who needs sleep anyway?

No comments: